St James Anglican Church began in 1882 as a mission of Trinity Anglican Church, Galt. The first Anglican services in Hespeler (now part of Cambridge) were held in the Royal Templars' Hall on Cooper Street and later in the Temperance Hall. The Parish of St. James was organized in 1884. On June 17, 1893 the cornerstone was laid for a church with dedication services held on October 28, 1893 by Bishop Maurice Baldwin. St. James was separated on January 01, 1890 from Preston, to which it had been attached since its organization, and continued on as a separate parish. This first church, which was located at 30 Harvey Street was closed in 1990 when the new church was erected at its present location on Ellis Road.
The City of Cambridge is in southwestern Ontario, Canada. In the 2006 census it had a population of 120,371. The metropolitan area, which includes the neighbouring cities of Kitchener and Waterloo, has 451,235 people. The city was created in 1973 when the communities of Galt, Preston and Hespeler were amalgamated.